UK, Australia warn citizens of 'possible' terror attacks in Metro Manila
MANILA -- At least three more countries warned their nationals in the Philippines against a possible terrorist attack after the United States Embassy cited on Friday a security threat in Metro Manila.
The United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada cautioned their citizens with the first two countries placing their warnings under the "terrorism" category.
"Any attack could be indiscriminate and we advise British nationals to exercise particular caution and extra vigilance in places frequented by expatriates and foreign nationals," the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office said in its travel advice.
"There is a high threat from terrorism. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travelers," it added.
Australia also advised its nationals to exercise "a high degree of caution" due to "high threat of terrorist attack and the high level of serious crime," adding that there are security risks in some areas in Mindanao.
"We strongly advise you not to travel to central and western Mindanao, including the Zamboanga Peninsula and Sulu Archipelago, due to the very high threat of terrorist attack, kidnapping, violent crime and violent clashes between armed groups. Australians in these areas should leave immediately," the Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said in an advisory.
Meanwhile, the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada alerted its nationals for possible explosive attacks in the country.
"Continuing reports suggest that there is an ongoing terrorist threat to Westerners and Western interests in the Philippines. Bomb attacks could occur at any time in Manila and other key cities," the Canadian agency said.
On Friday, the US Embassy warned its citizens against a possible security threat in Metro Manila, particularly in the Pasay City neighborhood.
The threat remains in effect until October 10.
Malacañang, meanwhile, assured Saturday that law enforcers have tightened security measures for the alleged threats in the country, particularly at the US Embassy facility.
Speaking over state-run dzRB, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said they have coordinated with the Metro Manila police under Chief Superintendent Leonardo Espina.
According to Valte, Espina said security has been augmented for the reported threats.
Earlier this month, the US also alerted its nationals against possible threats due to the violent protests sparked by an anti-Islamic film. (Emmanuel Louis Bacani)